We are tentatively bringing back a Supernatural specific salt channel on a trial basis. #spn-salty will be available for 30 days starting on April 5, 2021. After the trial period we will assess how it is going and make a decision about keeping it permanantly.
The previous show-specific salt channel, #salted-spoilers, was notoriously difficult to moderate and usually required multiple active mods to keep it from going out of bounds. Even with that special attention, we were only semi-successful in keeping personal attacks, brigading, circle-jerks, ship-shaming, and outright fights out of there. During the finale and the weeks following, mods were run absolutely ragged.
ProfoundBond is never going to be the right place for people to come and spill tea or light a flame. That's not what our community is for. We encourage anyone interested in participating in this channel to carefully review the server's core values as well as the guidelines laid out below before hopping in.
We are hopeful with these new guidelines that #spn-salty will be a channel where members can criticize the show's content while not overtaxing the mod team.
This channel requires the @Salty role to read and send messages. You can request this role by tagging @Mod and asking in the #cryptos-cubicle channel.
@Mod can I get the salty role please?
- Critical discussion of the show itself: questionable writing decisions, problematic themes, etc.
- Feelings of anger and hurt that the show may inspire.
- Missed opportunities, roads not taken, and other ways we wish the show had gone differently.
- Fighting with each other.
- Off-server fandom drama, wank, or salt against/about other fans.
- Cast and crew hate. This is not the place for personal attacks.
- Obsessive, circular, same-problem salt that never changes or moves forward, only amplifies.
- Brigading. Public call-outs or calls to action to pile-on, harass, or campaign against.
The common thread for what This Channel Is Not For is negativity against real, actual humans, or conversation that only spirals without resolution. Please keep this in mind if you’re deciding whether or not to post something here.
- Q: Fighting isn't allowed, but does that mean we can't disagree?
- A: Of course we’re going to have disagreements, but we can still all be civil in our discussions. A discussion or debate does not need to turn into an outright argument. Please remember that tone does not always translate well in text, and take discussions that turn heated off-server or step away from Discord if you need to. Mods will redirect arguments to DM if necessary, but self-moderation is encouraged.
- Q: So we're not allowed to criticize the writers/actors?
- A: Critique the writing decisions. Critique the creative choices. The cast and crew are real people with real lives and careers outside of Supernatural. None of them are individually responsible for the direction of the show, nor for our feelings about it.
- Q: It is cathartic to me to talk over and over about a topic I disagree with another member on, why can't I do that if we are both amenable to mod redirection when we cross a line?
- A: This kind of conversation is excessively draining to moderate and will be asked to move off-server.
- Q: Can I share a link to a tweet by an anti-destiel shipper here? I don't want people to go flame them, I just want to share my frustration!
- A: No. We do not allow links to off-server drama of any kind. This includes non-controversial posts/tweets with a big mess in the notes or replies.
- Q: Why isn't brigading allowed on PB?
- A: Our goal with this community is to be a positive, constructive supportive space. Just as we don’t want outside drama coming here, we do not want to be a source of drama to the broader fandom.
- Q: I feel like I am keeping the greater Destiel/Supernatural community safe by sharing this link outlining why another fan is a bad person. Surely I can share that here?
- A: No, you cannot. If you feel that the real life safety of members is at risk contact the mods privately.
- Q: Another member here said something shitty about me off server. Can I call them out and explain why they were out of line here?
- No. If the member is harrassing you in DM block them. If they circumvent that block somehow to continue harrassing you contact the mod team privately.
- Q: There was something that I posted in the old channel that I really wish I had saved before it closed, but I missed my chance to back it up!
- A: Send Crypto a DM, she'll help you out.
- Q: I don't like these guidelines. The old #salted-spoilers channel was better.
- A: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯